Antwerp, Churches and Tourism
Tourism Pastoral, Diocese of Antwerp (TOPA vzw)

Saint Andrew’s Church

Its History

The founders of this house of worship were the Augustinians. In 1513 these monks established a chapel, which was the onset of building a monastery and this church. Because of their sympathy for their protesting fellow brother Martin Luther, Margareth of Austria, governor of the Netherlands, ordered the closing of the monastery in 1522 and one year later two monks were executed in Brussels.

In 1529 the building was consecrated as a parish church. Slowly, but tirelessly, the parishioners overcame heavy setbacks such as the iconoclasm (1566), the demolition of the choir and the transept by the Calvinists (1581), and the collapse of the tower (1755). With a sense of artistic beauty they rebuilt and enlarged their church into a monumental ‘house of God’.

The church and its furnishings survived the French Revolution thanks to the oath of an ecclesiastically disobedient priest!  Moreover a number of works of art from former convent churches were recycled, such as the baroque high altar, and baroque works of art were added, such as the monumental pulpit (1821) and the Way of the Cross (ca. 1850).

In the 1970s the church was completely restored.